Friday, May 1, 2015

Organization!

This last chapter was a little ironic, talking about how technology can be used to improve teacher processes and organization by using technology to manage calendars, to-do lists, and other miscellany that are required and tedious (paperwork, accounting, etc), along with using technology to participate in professional development and teacher training, such as graduate studies.  Seeing as how this is an online Masters degree program, I chuckled a little under my breath -- I would have to say that all of us in this program are already doing a wonderful job of incorporating tech into our personal and professional development plans!

Going back to the organization strategies suggested in the reading, these are all wonderful suggestions.  Organization is one of my key areas for improvement next year -- this year has gone pretty smoothly all things considered, but I felt like I spent a lot of time chasing my own tail and sending myself on wild goose chases that could have been avoided simply by having a better organization system. A lot of things that could have been delegated simply couldn't be because I knew where things were, but couldn't tell other people or my TAs "it's in the main pile of my high school office desk, in the same layer as the scores for the middle school concert from the beginning of the year and not as deep as the notes for next week's meeting."  That makes sense to my own brain, but pretty much anyone else would have no idea what I'm talking about.  Part of it is being in three buildings most days, part of it is being in a new-to-me position, part of it is trying to tranisition from a not-at-all digitized organization system to my own computer-centric approach.  While I have no intention of leaving this position (I love my job!), I have been trying to think about what would make transitioning easier if I ever had to leave things for somebody else -- for example, if I was to go on maternity leave at some point in the future, or if I was to grow the program enough to require an extra person to take either the middle school or high school classes (probably wishful thinking in the current economical and political climate).

I've started using a daily to-do list in a notebook this year, after two different tries using technology for that same task.  I started the year using Google Tasks, which integrates with the Gmail I already use and has an app for Android phones.  I used it somewhat regularly, but found that things were getting away from me.  I then switched to a non-integrated task program that was mostly on my phone with a website interface for additional entries, as my phone is frequently what I end up using for instant information or email.  It worked well for a few days, and then again I found myself not checking and not following up on it.  My notebook, on the other hand, is something that I use every day.  It's big enough to be a reminder in and of itself, and the physical act of writing things down helps me remember what it is that I need to accomplish that day -- or what things need to be addressed because they are left over from yesterday. It really seems to be common sense, but the best technology lives at the intersection of what works and what gets used.  Technology just for the sake of technology that doesn't ever get used really doesn't do anything to help teachers or students. Likewise, avoiding technology because current systems work 'just fine' doesn't explore the possibility that technology could be used to improve performance or effectiveness or any other aspect of teaching or learning.

3 comments:

  1. I really like what you said at the end of your blog. Using technology just to say you used technology doesn’t necessarily help anyone. However, we can’t avoid it either. My students understand technology much easier and always offer to help if I’m stuck on something. (Which drives me nuts sometimes having an 8 year old know more than me. Haha.) Throughout this course, I have learned about many programs that I’m excited to use. At the same time, I am going to stick to my usual ways of personal organization, a paper calendar. For me, this is always going to work the best. There are ways to organize my school materials though with technology that I look forward to using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jami,
    I laughed out loud when I read your thoughts about your desk! That is what goes through my head all the time! It makes me feel like I'm not the only one who dreads being sick because I would have to clean and organize before the sub could even think about finding what they might need for the lessons I plan. My last sub organized my desk between classes - I can't find anything now, but it sure looked nice! How many times have you recreated a worksheet or made extra copies of music because you couldn't find what was already used? I can say countless times. Unfortunately, there is no technology that can replace handouts, worksheets, and written assessments. I would love to have assessments given on the iPad or something, but that's not the way my curriculum works right now. I lose electronic files almost as easily as losing hard copies, but at least you can search for files on your computer.

    I also agree with your opening statements - that we are all using technology to improve and grow through professional development. And Stephanie, I am with you that there are so many applications out there that might be awesome, many of which we have learned about in this class. However, I'm only going to be able to incorporate one or two a year, I think. Take it easy and get used to it before diving in and throwing out the baby with the bath water.

    Good luck to you in your future endeavors, both in organization and in music education! Here's hoping politicians realized how important music education is in developing creative thinkers, problem solvers, and innovative minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and positive thoughts! Technology is certainly something that can be intended to make life or lessons plan simpler. Our district uses Gmail and while I haven't been utilizing Google tasks yet, I'd like to take a strong look at its capabilities over the summer in hopes of implementing it with my scheudle next year.

    Being in different buildings as a high school and intermediate band director can have its challenges keeping a schedule, and I think Google Tasks would be a beneficial tool.

    I am still able to use paper and pencil sticky notes and sticky notes on my desktop as well :)

    Technology, when used effectively, can be a great resource when it comes to organizations.

    Very thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete