Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Keeping A Good Thing Going

So, I passed Tech. With an A.  Don't know that I truly deserved the A, but, I'll take it.  Thanks to everyone who followed / commented during that class.

I'd like to keep this blog going, because it seems like a good place to download (for lack of a better term) some of my ideas and experiences, as well as interact with other teachers and musicians.  I'm not sure how much of an audience I have at the moment, but hopefully I can expand it out.  I'm not too worried about 'branding' my blog, but maybe I've got some things to say that others will find helpful at some point in the future.  I'd love to hear others' ideas.  My current class (Advanced Topics in Instrumental Music) is the beginning of the 2nd half of this program, so I'm now closer to not having the academic-level discussions that was part of what prompted me to sign up for and do this in the first place.

My big thing for this summer is going to be setting up Interactive Student Notebooks for student use in the fall.  I have some neat ideas, and I think it has great potential to help my students really understand what we're covering.  I noticed this year that even if we talked about key and finger patterns before playing a piece, they didn't actually internalize and utilize that information -- if we'd been playing with C-naturals a lot, they played low 2, if we'd been playing with C-sharps a lot, they played high two, regardless of what the key signature or accidentals said to do.  So, I want to change that.

In any case, I'll likely keep posting some of my class thoughts on here, as well as my future plans and development of my course and materials.  It should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment