Friday, April 10, 2015

Recording Classroom Technology (Week 4 Reading/Video Response)

This week's reading covered the use of using technology to record and (re)play music in and for classroom settings. The author discusses how recordings contribute to learning and retention of material, helps educators with self assessment and improvement, and provides an opportunity for student assessment in addition to benefits listed above.

I can't argue with the efficacy of recording technology in the classroom.  It's one of those best practices that research shows time and time again is useful.  SmartMusic, one of the programs covered in the reading, is certainly considered industry standard when it comes to interactive student software and recording software.  With the increase of 1:1 initiatives getting more technology into the hands of more students, SmartMusic certainly seems like a great investment and resource.  But what about for those of us in districts that can't afford / won't invest in SmartMusic, or the arrangments (technology-based and logistics-based) necessary to use it effectively?  I'm sure I'm not the only teacher that has to make some tough choices between purchasing classroom supplies like music, strings, instruments (and repairs), and tech-based toys (yeah, I went there) like software.  The building I teach my middle schoolers in is an historic one, recently renovated, but lacking dedicated practice rooms. My fellow teachers are extremely generous and understanding, but I doubt they'd be enthusiastic about letting me take over their classroom(s) to allow students school-day opportunities to use SmartMusic -- assuming that we could find an available computer rig to operate the software!  I'm not as familiar with SmartMusic as I'd like to be, but there's also that network resources piece that is concerning. We've been hearing a LOT about network resources now that testing season is upon us.  Our students take their standardized tests via internet, so woe befall any teacher who is hogging network resources for something like video or audio streaming.  I'm sure that SmartMusic has options for downloading and playing/replaying music and accompaniments from the physical disk, but that then begets other concerns from the tech gurus regarding available space and allocation of resources. 

So, I've been looking at alternatives to SmartMusic.  I know it's a wonderful program, but it's not something that's going to work in my room (and I really hope that you all realize that I'm not automatically opposed to everything out there!).  I have been brainstorming how I might be able to get the ability to hear my students perform in a way similar to how SmartMusic can record assessments.  I might have to do a bit more work in the way of grading my assessments on my own, but here are some things I've thought of to try to make it as easy and streamlined as possible:

  • Have students use their (smart)phones to video-record themselves, then upload to google drive (assuming they have the ability to do so from their phones) and share with me.  That way everything is in google, and students will appreciate the opportunity to use their phones on 'official' school business. PROS: Students can use their own technology, assignments hit several media arts standards in addition to music standards, and playing assessments can be done outside of class time.  Video and audio recording allows for better assesment.  CONS: Time consuming to resolve issues with format, students may not be familiar with process and may require additional assistance to complete assignment.  Time needs to be found to watch and assess videos. Not all students have video device access.
  • Have students use their (landline, cell, or smart) phone to call in to a dedicated number set up through GoogleVoice.  PROS: Anyone with access to a phone can access submission number; GoogleVoice service allows for great differentiation of numbers, mailboxes, and other features -- most for free.  CONS: No video for assessment of playing position / technique, audio less clear than live or many video options, possibility for cheating based on lack of video (no way to see to confirm who is actually playing).
  • Collaborate with school video classes to record performance assessments -- make arrangments to have student videographers available for recording assessments either during class time or during open periods or before/after school. PROS: Collaborative projects generally encouraged within school settings, video assessment that doesn't require director take individual time to record.  CONS: Additional people involved with assessment process means additional opportunities for mistakes or issues to occur.  Student-managed video recording may result in more videography issues/errors.
In addition to recording student performance (whether as an assessment or as a check-in to see how the ensemble is performing overall as a group), video can be used as a way to instruct students.  In ELA, math, science, and social studies classes, the use of video in this manner is frequently referred to as a flipped class.  Students are assigned video clips of the instructor teaching a concept, and class time is then devoted to working on whatever the object of the lesson was -- basically class time becomes dedicated homework time with built-in teacher tutoring. While this may seem challenging to implement in the instrumental music classroom, I think it is totally possible to implement. There are so many good videos out there for instrumental instruction!  The DVDs included with most contemporary method books is a great place to start.  YouTube and individual sites for ensembles and performers also have instrument tips and tricks videos that could easily be assigned.  This approach might work especially well as a plan for days when small ensembles are going to be rehearsing, allowing an endless reconfiguration of groups as various assigned videos are worked through, discussed, and demonstrated with and by the students.

Perhaps the biggest limitation to all of this is something I alluded to earlier -- accessibility of recording equiment. Not all students have access to a recording device, and even if they have a recording device not all ensembles have access to appropriate space to utilize that equipment during the day. Assigning video recordings can be tough in a situation where some, but not all, students have access to mobile recording devices -- instead of being able to be responsible for their own recordings, students without have to make choices about asking for a modified assignment, asking for help from a peer, or taking the loss of points by not turning it in. It's unfortunate that some students have to make these choices, but it's also a fact increasing in frequency as more and more students are growing up in poverty.  I don't have any realistic solutions to offer -- each school and truly each student, are unique cases and unique situations.  Ideally, we would all have practice rooms with dedicated Macs and SmartMusic for our students to use and explore. For those of us for whom that isn't an option, we'll just have to find other ways for making this type of technology work for us.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamie
    I too can relate about not being able to implement Smartmusic with my students, and I also like your brainstorming on other technological possibilities for other alternative solutions.

    I use YouTube the most in my classroom, for keeping students engaged, and show my students proper practice techniques. My son, when he was in high school (2007-2011), was using YouTube videos for learning to play the piano. He would practice all the time with his laptop sitting on top of the piano. Even though he enjoyed playing trombone in band, he was interested in learning other instruments and wanted to understand treble clef. I was impressed by his dedication for practicing the piano and trombone, that I started to share his practice videos with my piano students at school. After a week of showing practice videos to my 6th grade students, I notice that my piano students were understanding basic piano skills, and were practicing at home. One of my low income students who did not have access to the internet nor an electric keyboard, made a paper keyboard and would go to the public library to practice over the weekend. His parent called me at school and asked me "what have you done to my son?" Instead of him wanting to hang out at the mall with his friends, he wants to hang out at the library and practice. The news made my day, since this student had behavioral issues. I am delighted to report that this student, was the pianist for his high school Jazz Band. Who could have imagine that a practice video changed someones life?
    Any way, I like your idea of having students use their own cell phone for recording their practice and uploading their video to Google Drive. All my students at my elementary school has a school Google account and they use Google Drive. I am going to try this with my 3rd graders since we are getting ready to explore recorders in these last few months of school.
    Thanks again for your alternative ideas!!
    Melanie Rourke

    ReplyDelete