Friday, March 13, 2015

At the Intersection of Technology and Pedagogy (Week 1 - Reading/Video response)

Technology and education both share many similarities.  Both change frequently, both can be tricky and intimidating to navigate, both seem overwhelming to many adults and underwhelming to many kids.

In a perfect situation, technology would fit in seamlessly and effortlessly with any given day's lesson, but sadly it never seems to work that way.  I remember hearing from almost day 1 of my undergrad program to keep extra back-up plans when working with technology, just in case the technology had a glitch or wouldn't work.  In a lot of ways, that advice seems sound -- downtime in a classroom can spell doom for the day's lesson and any sort of hopes for a well-managed classroom -- and speaks to previous experiences with similar issues.  But at the same time, I wonder if this is one of the reasons why we 'digital immigrants' struggle so frequently with technology.  Just as our students will react to our expectations, most often rising or falling to meet them, our own experiences have to be colored by what we expect to happen. Now, I'm not advocating that any teacher not have a back-up plan, but what if we approached it as if the technology was definitely going to work, and the back-up plan was for if our administrator walked in the door five minutes before class started to let us know we would be getting an extra prep period today because we won some arbitrary student-selected popularity contest?  Which now becomes more likely, that the technology will work or that we will need our backup plan?  While it may seem to verge on the ludicrous, taking a silly approach such as this helps develop a positive attitude toward technology because it takes away that reinforcing thought pattern that focuses on the breakdown of the tools.

Stepping away from personal paradigms, the idea of TPACK - Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge - as discussed in Chapter 1 of the Music Learning Today text by William Bauer really reinforced for me that technology shouldn't be used for everything.  The desire to meet school, district, and state goals for technology integration can lead to educators feeling highly pressured to include technology in every possible way.  As budgets tighten and standards increasingly refer to terms like 'digital', 'media arts', '21st century skills', and 'technology' itself, many educators that I have worked with or talked to feel pressure to try to do more in their classrooms.  Like so many other things, however, quantity does not equate quality.  As an orchestra teacher, integrating technology can be challenging!  I have 20 or more kids at a time, all with a pointy stick in one hand and a hollow wooden box worth several hundreds to several thousands of dollars in the other, and you want me to get them using computers and technology in the classroom?  I've developed some litmus tests to determine whether or not technology works as the best way for my kids to learn:

  • Is it something that engages another mode of learning that hasn't been addressed in class for that topic?  
  • Is it something that would be artificial in the ensemble classroom?
  • Is it something that will benefit more than one student?
  • Is it something that is reusable from year to year?
  • Is it something that is more difficult / more challenging / impossible to accomplish without technology?
  • Is it something the students can use without too much teacher direction?
If I can answer 'yes' to most of those questions, it would be a good use of technology in the classroom.  As an example, when my Promethean board was installed last week, one of the first things I did was create a flipbook where students could drag-and-drop circles that represented finger placement on a line that represented the string(s) on their instrument.  All four instruments were able to make it relevant by looking at steps as opposed to absolute fingers, and students had to use gross motor skills (moving their arm to manipulate the stylus) instead of fine motor skills (finger placement on the string of their instrument).  I was able to see where my kids understood the differences between half and whole steps on the fingerboard, and where we needed to do some more work.  Similarly, I have started using a free online program that allows students to test their music reading abilities and generates a score based on their accuracy.  It has limitations -- it has to be done in a computer lab or else one at a time on my classroom computer, so it takes time away from rehearsal if the whole group will participate.  It doesn't help students map what they see on the page to the fingerboard of their instrument -- they still have to link the knowledge of identifying the pitch to how to produce the pitch.  But it is much more effective to have 20+ students drilling note reading in the appropriate clef simultaneously, with immediate feedback and the ability to track progress over time compared to similar activities done on a projector or with flashcards.  It's infinitely differentiate-able by defining ranges, keys, accidentals, or even time- or accuracy-based goals based on a students strengths and weaknesses.

Technology isn't perfect, but taking a realistic and growth-minded approach to implementation of technology in the classroom goes a long way towards healthy implementation.

4 comments:

  1. Jami,

    Great post! I am totally borrowing those questions you list in your evaluation of a technological application for class use. I agree that in an ensemble class, some technology is obtrusive and takes away from the ensemble goals. For my instrumental music classes (homogeneous groupings of 18-22 students), I have used technology in centers to accomplish multiple goals at the same time. Here is one set of centers I created:
    1. iPad recording studio - students had to work with a partner to record themselves playing anything they were working on on their instrument then reflect on the experience.
    2. Improvisation Station - I found a D blues backing track on YouTube that they could take turns jamming with with their groups.
    3. Flashcard Center - students quizzed each other on their fingering and treble clef flash cards (the application you mentioned above would work great if I had a few classroom computers).
    4. Practice Station - students worked together to improve their performance and technique on one song we were working on in class.

    I only had the access to two iPads that I could use at the time, as well as my own laptop.

    I feel that technology may help us meet the goals of the New Arts standards in ensemble classes. Students are to take more leadership and initiative in the decision making/music process. I also see technology helping students to create and improvise, through recording, notation, and sequencing software.

    Thank you for your ideas - can you tell me the name of the program you mentioned for pitch-drilling?

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I put the program (it's really a website) up as one of my PLN resources for this week -- its http://www.musictheory.net/exercises -- we use the Note Identification one the most. If you need help with it, I can provide some limited support. :)

      I am working on developing a centers-based approach for my middle school orchestras for next year -- yay curriculum writing! We have laptop carts that can be signed out, so I think I'll be able to get computers into the classroom on a somewhat regular basis. Would you be willing to let me pick your brain sometime about how you've run your centers in the past?

      Delete
  2. Hi Jamie,
    First, I'm jealous of you IWB! I've been waiting for a few years for one and I think I have a few more years to wait. I love your litmus test for technology. I have a hard time trying to integrate technology in my orchestra classes. I like the idea of the finger placement flipbook. Did you use EasiTeach or ActivInspire? What about the online program? Thanks for making me think about technology in a different way for instrumental classes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, the last place I taught promoted itself as a "SmartBoard in every classroom" school. Apparently they meant 'SmartBoard in every classroom EXCEPT band/strings!' I survived without one, so I was really excited when my current school told me that I'd be getting one installed! We have one at the high school as well, but I haven't really utilized it as much as I should -- I'm trying to do more with it now, starting with using a Power Point presentation as my daily agenda / learning goals / instructions. :)

    ReplyDelete